Monday 28 January 2013

How To Bucket Feed

Dear Readers;

  You know that you are from Canada when you say this..." It's a beautiful day! Sunny...not a cloud in the sky and only -12!" and mean it:)

 We are having a very busy day. We started out doing the farm chores and I had to try  bucket feeding the twin calves for the first time. Of course all they want to do is suckle ....so they suck my jacket and although I just washed it...my jacket and gloves are stiff with milk! I'm beginning to smell like a farmer...part hay...part sour milk and a whole lot of cow dung....Eau-de-Vache... I don't actually mind because I feel like I'm doing something useful.

  Mind you,these calves are getting much stronger....Gopal gave me quite the "charlie horse"(strong headbutt to my thigh muscle) which had me hopping around half-laughing and Radhe got me with a double hoof flying kick as she ran past me. If they don't settle down I'm going to have to invest in a pair of goalie pads and armor up before I enter their pen:)

 We also had to move those round bales of hay,that we love so much, into the far field. Gaura Nitai wanted to roll them but I thought that it was a better idea to use the truck to pull them and then slide them across the field to where we needed them. It worked like a charm. I'll post that short video tomorrow.



 The bottom line is the two calves drank from a bucket,without me having to use my fingers on their second feeding. My trick was to just let them get a little hungry before feeding them. Hunger is a strong motivator. Well time to get the herd into the barn.

Hare Krsna.
Kokum Lal

No comments:

Post a Comment