Sunday 13 January 2013

Dead Tired!

Dear Readers;

  Gaura Nitai and I are dead tired. We have put all else aside to take care of Urvashi. It's almost strange how Urvashi has become a "community" project. We have had so many people come to help us take care of her and today one of the local churches said that they would pray for her recovery. If nothing else she has engaged many...many locals in go-seva....service to the cow. Thanks to all involved.

 I have learnt  how give a great big needle into the flank of a large animal...without getting kicked!


 I have learnt how to"drench" a cow. Drenching a cow is basically filling a large glass coke bottle with the herbal concoction and one person (GN) holds her mouth open and I shove the bottle down her throat and empty the contents. Horrible......horrible....but must be done. Her disease is gone but we are hoping that she can recover her health. She is terribly thin.


 We also rented a contraption that cranks her to standing position. We managed to get her to stand for quite some time. Standing is important for a large animal because if they remain prone their respiratory system becomes labored. So we....finally... got her up and she was moving around but the chain fell and she panicked and tried to run...but ..her hind quarter was still in a sling....so she was dangling and thrashing. I was screaming to GN to get her down but he had to start up the truck to get the power going so that we could jack her down. We were all traumatized....Urvashi lay with her head on Gaura Nitais' lap for hours and I just managed to crawl up the stairs and into bed....clothes and all...... I was thinking....farming sucks..............


 High note ...the calves are happy and thriving.

Hare Krsna.
Kokum Lal

1 comment:

  1. Hari bol prabhus;

    I am terribly saddened at the passing of your wonderful cow, I offer my condolence to both of you in your time of grief. Best wishes.

    Your lowly servant,
    Natha dasa

    ReplyDelete