Friday 28 December 2012

Twins are Fine and Winter Mob Grazing Update Video

Dear Readers;

  It's been over 24 hours since the twins were born and we have gone thru a gamut of emotions...from being completely freaked out....elation...excitement...aw....nervousness...fear and all night worry. Gaura Nitai braved the snowstorm at midnight to go and check on the babies and herd. The babies were happily suckling and the alpacas were going ...huh?...huh?... and the rest of the herd had their bodies inside the barn and their heads outside...checking out the storm. Gaura Nitai was sure that they were holding a meeting...saying.."It's just a little sleety snow.....we are Randles!!! We are strong and brave! You go out first....no you...no you...."So finally the boss had to just push them in and close the door.

  I was awake at 1 a.m....due to worry and pain. I was worried that we hadn't given the babies enough colostrum. Maybe they were too weak to drink from the very saggy milk bag....maybe they would die from the cold.....maybe I should knit them little toques to keep their little heads warm...maybe I should have put more hay down to block out the drafts.

 The pain came from having carried the calf to the barn and straining my arms. I then spent most of the day outside so the cold got into my muscles and caused spasms all night long. Of course when I went out to help make a new fence line this morning I tripped and fell on my arm. I believe that it's some kind of weird law that states....if you break a toe...you must stub it every day at least once....any injured body part must be injured over and over again.

 We are updating our winter grazing project today. Evaluating the cows and fields. Here are a few pictures and short video.

Hare Krsna.
Kokum Lal


No comments:

Post a Comment