Tuesday 16 July 2013

Simple Living Is Not Easy Living

Dear Readers;

 Simple living is not easy living...that's for sure! We get to go to the barn and milk the cow twice a day ...every day...rain or shine. Some days it's just the last thing that you want to do....such as this morning. I had a lousy sleep due to the heat and I even had the box fan blowing directly on me and still slept fitfully. I took a couple of Homeopathic Calms around 3 a.m. and slept until 7:15 a.m. We usually milk around 7 a.m. so already we were 15 minutes late....bummer. Gord suggested that we milk and then take our showers after but I hate walking around feeling all groggy. Although we got out a little late nobody complained and all went well.

 We decided that we will take all of the woodchip bedding out and replace it with sand. You see we are battling hoards of flies! The flies are causing misery to the poor calves and alpacas. Flies like to lay their eggs in moist hay so we need to eliminate their nesting area. Perhaps we could also sprinkle salt and dichotomous earth to make the bedding unattractive to fly larva. That is what we decided at this mornings chin wag ...down at the barn!

 I didn't know that huge American dairies used sand as bedding until I saw this pic!

 Well alright then...G just ordered the sand and now we must get back to bread baking!
 I'm also making Natural Bag Balm for our Jersey cow and Honey lip balm for an order at a local store.

Hare Krsna
Kokum Lal



No comments:

Post a Comment