Sunday 7 April 2013

WWOOF and Calves


Dear Reader;

 Spring is certainly slow in coming this year. The Northumberland Strait is still blocked with ice so we get to see the Icebreakers making a path for the Irving Oil Tankers...much to the annoyance of the Canadian Tax Payers. You would think that at the price of gas and oil on this Island that the Irving Corporation would make better plans or pay from their own pockets but I don't follow politics much so I will leave that to the Political Pundits.

 What I do know is this ...it is still cold outside!

 We head out to the barn every morning at 7 a.m. just on time to see the sun spread it's pastel colours across the sky before it makes its big ta-daaaa. As soon as I approach the barn the calves hear me and start calling....then the cows join the chorus ...it's quite the morning greeting.

 What is starting to dawn on me is how animals become more like children...especially when they aren't feeling well. This week Nimai came down with a fever and scours(diarrhea). Luckily I had anticipated possibly requiring an antibiotic at some point so two months ago I made a natural antibiotic with garlic,cayenne pepper and ginger soaked in apple cider vinegar for 4 weeks. I gave him 3 doses a day for two days. I also gave him some homemade yogurt and chamomile tea to sooth his digestive tract. The following day I took his temperature and he was back to normal.What a relief!

 We also have had a WWOOFer from France. He was with us for just over a week and Victor was a great guy to have around the farm. He was learning to speak English and was doing great for having only been in Canada for one month. He was so enthusiastic to learn anything and everything. I find that most volunteers are very good and genuinely want to learn.

 Here is a short video of the men training the calf. The older calves are giving us a really hard time. The 4 month old calves are still in the pulling back and falling down dead stage. I am going to change the process tomorrow to see if I can entice them with a handful of grain.....the proverbial carrot on a stick trick.

Hare Krsna,
Kokum Lal


No comments:

Post a Comment