Wednesday 29 January 2014

If Cows Were People

Dear Readers;

If cows were people I think that our Randall's would be Scottish warriors..of the William Wallace (Braveheart) days and our Jersey would be a feisty but delicate English lady...who liked being pushed around on occasion. I say this with the greatest respect and love for our dear cows. You see last week I just wanted a day to myself to browse the stores. We had just spent a very stressful eight days nursing one of my sweet calves back to health. Now that he was up and about...back to his ol' self I wanted to get away from the farm and do a little retail therapy.

I'm not very comfortable driving our stick shift car. I have this deathly fear that I am either going to stall on a hill and roll back into vehicles and everyone is going to toot and curse  me or I could just plain run over someone at a cross walk because I'll shift into the wrong gear. Point being Gaura Nitai does not want me wasting diesel by driving the truck so he volunteered to be my driver for the day. Booo! I say because just try and relax while your husband is outside waiting in the car! While he was waiting he was told that their were two cancellations at the Buyers Trade Show for the very next day.

 We have never done a Trade Show so we had no idea what to expect and worse yet was we had decided to change our packaging to something simpler. We we're up until one in the morning repackaging our product and coming up with a new display. Although we were both exhausted the following morning we enthusiastically headed out to the barn to do our chores...only to find Sachi on the wrong side of the partition wall...bloated..on her side with an injured eye and ear!!!!AHHHHH! Gaura Nitai ran into the house to phone our Vet. Doc Lister told him to put down the phone and sit her up immediately. We both pushed and pulled and finally had Sachi sitting properly. She was dazed but alive. Of course both of us could not go to the Show so I volunteered because I'm good at nursing animals and Gord is great at selling.(It's that Scottish accent...women love it!)

 I gave her some Homeopathic remedy to help her recover from the shock. I sat and chanted my japa and watched her. I observed the scene and realized that  there was nothing really wrong with her except  that she was shaken up. (We give Sachi her own pen with water...plenty of hay and a fluffy bed of straw. If she is not kept a little separate then she may not get enough to eat because the Randalls are quite the boisterous bunch and as I said...she is a delicate lady....mostly.)  Now that things had calmed down I realized that after Gaura Nitai had fed and watered her the night before she had jumped the three and a half foot partition wall...her front leg had not cleared the wall and the momentum had flipped her over into an awkward position to close to the wall. She had no room to rock herself up into a sitting position. It was my fault I did not make it clear to her that...Hey diddle diddle..the cat played the fiddle...while the cow jumped over the moon...was NOT a FACT!
 Fortunately by the afternoon Sachi was back to normal and I put her back with the herd.

 I then managed to make it to Day Two of the Trade Show. We did good for our first attempt and now Om Made Soap is on the mainland!
Mother Sachi...the white paint is my homemade milk paint made from her milk:)


Until next time.
Hare Krsna.
Lal

1 comment:

  1. Love your stories Lala Gopala! Keep writing them please! 'If' cows were people... They are people (which you already know) ... As Krishna says in Bhagavad Gita 14.4 "It should be understood that all species of life, O son of Kunti, are made possible by birth in this material nature, and that I am the seed-giving father." Gopi x

    ReplyDelete