Wednesday 1 January 2014

Tis' The Season

Dear Readers;

 So sorry to have not written much in the past little while...but...we have been mega busy selling at the Craft Fairs...getting ready for our trip to Narnia...ummm...I meant Timmins, Ontario...driving to Timmins....meeting our new six month old grand-daughter for the first time....cooking a huge vegetarian prasadam feast for 25 or so new relatives..tobogganing (rez style) on a cardboard box...Xmas... revoing my daughters basement and then driving home again, 4300 Km through snowstorms...freezing rain..slush and whew!!! home in time to shovel our driveway and milk the cow.
Six month old Divya-Tarini Baby Dasi

Needless to say...we are bagged...tired...exhausted...but happy.

We missed the cows terribly and they must have missed us because when we went into the barn Mukta and her daughter Aruni started to jump around...doing a little dance and then Pita the bull let out such a bellow that my heart almost stopped! The calves and alpacas all came to nibble on my parka as I fed them apples.

I'll admit I'm not a big fan of commercialized Christmas and I'm not a Christian so I've been attempting to bow out of the entire deal for over thirty years but that is easier said than done. Gaura Nitai has some great memories of the season and loves it. Over the years I have tried to make the celebration more eco by sewing cotton bags for putting the gifts into but apparently everyone loves the idea of ripping paper and piling it into the middle of the floor...where at least one gift is lost every year! Anyways to make a long story short....we've compromised and I honor the sun on Winter Solstice and give gifts away.....and cook a prasadam feast for family and friends. I think that we all have to navigate the season the best way we can and remember to just love our family ....friends and call it what ever we want.
Note the bead bag in one hand and giant stocking in the other:) Who's a happy grandpa??


Here are a few pictures of my minimalist tree and my daughter Gaura-Gopals' maximalist tree.

I hope that you have had a wonderful holiday with family and friends. I also have a great story about how our calves received a Xmas gift of cow bells....but my daughter will have to write the story because it brought tears to our eyes.

Hare Krsna.
Lal
Our four grand-children Laxmi,Divya,Maitreya and Jaimie,Aunty Jane and her daughter Spot or Megwan
Crystal and lights

Lals' minimalist tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment