Thursday 21 February 2013

Simplify The Kitchen

Dear Reader;

 I believe that I'm starting to get a hang of  simplifying my life. This week I decided that I would not do any grocery shopping until  the produce in the fridge was used. Most of my married life I've had a fridge full of anonymous bottles and covered bowls full of left-overs. I don't like to eat left overs! I find that the food has lost it's nutrition and basically useless but I felt guilty about throwing it out so I just left it in the fridge to mold away from sometimes weeks!

 Another bad habit that I have been working on is to only cook enough for that very day. I have to understand that all of my children are gone from home and they won't be here for breakfast,lunch of supper....no matter how much food I cook. With those ideas firmly in place I'm now cooking very little and only for two. My fridge is now clean and free of left-overs! If I do happen to have extras then I just feed it to the cows. I'm sure they call me..."The Green Bucket Lady" because when they see that bucket they all come running.

  I only have what I actually use on my kitchen shelves and that makes it so much easier to keep clean. If I have any duplicates...such as Natural sugar then I just store those in the pantry. Bulk items such as rice and flour are stored in an old freezer. The freezer isn't plugged in...we just use it to keep the mice away. These old houses have hundreds of holes where mice can find their way in...but...we are slowly finding those holes and blocking them...so we are finding fewer mice.

 What I'm seeing is that I'm always looking for ways to simplify the task at hand...for instance...while I was waiting for my husband to buy dry wall for the upstairs bathroom I took all the contents out of my bag and started consolidating the items. I don't need 4 pens when one black one will do. I don't require two notepads when my Daytimer has everything that I need. I only require my red lip pencil and Rice paper skin blotters...everything else can be left at home. My one item that I won't leave home without is my Swiss Army knife!
 See...it has everything but the kitchen sink:)
I've got to get to the library before it closes. Until next time.

Hare Krsna.
Kokum Lal

No comments:

Post a Comment